Be A Better Mentor
No matter how much you enjoy being a mentor, there are probably times when you think, "So now what do I do?"
Not only will you find activities to do with your mentee, but you will also find exercises you can do to improve your mentoring skills. They do not take long, but they will go a long way in making you an even better mentor.
How to Be a Great Mentor Guide
The guide provides a comprehensive overview for new or existing mentors on multiple issues, ranging from the lifecycle of mentoring, profiles of successful people and the influence of mentoring on their lives and resources on how to get involved in mentoring. The forty-plus page guide includes sections on what mentoring is, how to get started, what to do when trouble arises in a relationship and information on how to get more people to volunteer as mentors. Each section includes tips and a quiz to assist mentors in getting the most of out their mentoring relationship.
Select articles from each of the five sections can be down loaded below. The files are available in pdf format. Download the reader for free.
The Quiet Revolution: What is mentoring?
- Mentoring Works - An introduction by Jonathan Alter (PDF) (Page 2)
- A Few Good Mentors - Portraits of success (Page 5)
- Life Cycle - The four phases you'll experience (PDF) (Page 9)
Building Trust: How to get started
- Meeting Halfway - Bridging differences (Page 10)
- It's a Match - There's a program for everybody (PDF) (Page 14)
- Tips and Quiz (Page 18)
Exploring Possibilities: What to do together
- Tech-Mentor - The online option (Page 20)
- Getting to the Gold - The heart of the relationship (PDF) (Page 24)
- Tips and Quiz (Page 27)
Navigating Rough Spots: What to do when trouble arises
- Who's at Risk - About 13.6 million kids need help (Page 30)
- Friends in Deed - Staying Committed (PDF) (Page 34)
- Tips and Quiz (Page 37)
The Continuing Cycle: How to keep the revolution going
- Coming Full Circle - Mentoring through generations (Page 40)
- Join the Crusade - Colin Powell wants you (Page 44)
- Tips (PDF) (Page 47)
- Volunteer Opportunities - A list of what's out there (Page 48)