National Mentoring Summit Holds Eye to Eye Discussion On Mentoring Youth from the LD/ADHD Perspective
The Summit session panel included Matt Barnett and Chelsea Guild, Eye to Eye mentors; Tammy Tai, MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership; David Flink, co-founder of Eye to Eye; and Isaiah Walker, Eye to Eye mentor.
January 25, 2013: 1:00 p.m.
View the slides from the following of today's breakout sessions:
(9:30 - 10:45 a.m. sessions)
- Peer Connections – Transforming Schools into Safer and More Supportive, Engaging and Inspiring Environments
- Recruiting Policy Advocates to Support Inspiring Program Innovations: An Urgent Call
- Somebody to Lean On: Developing a Framework for the Youth Assisting Youth Peer Mentoring Program
- Strengthening the Ties: Mentoring in Indian Country
- The Brotherhood Eradicating the Prison Pipeline through Lifelong Learning Strategies
- Sparks, Vision and Possibilities
(11:00am - 12:15 p.m. sessions)
- Faith-Based Mentoring Strategies for Effective Youth Outreach Development
- Inclusive Mentoring – A National Initiative
- Recruiting and Retaining Mentors: Practical Methods to Develop Lasting Relationships
- What it Takes to Make e-Mentoring Work: Introducing an Innovative e-Mentoring Program and Collaborative
(2:15-3:30 p.m. sessions)
(3:45-5 p.m. sessions)
- Building Futures – YMCA's Therapeutic Mentoring Model
- Creating Effective Community-Based Mentoring Relationships
- Developing Community-Based Mentoring Programs for At-Risk Youth
- Developing Corporate Partners into Champions for Youth Mentoring – A Two Perspective Approach
- Mentor Self-Efficacy and Perceived Program Support Scale
- Mentoring At-Risk Youth and Young Adults
January 25, 2013: 10:00 a.m.
Politicians, Peace-Makers and Partners Open Second Day Of the National Mentoring Summit
Keynote speaker Congressman Elijah Cummings (MD) with Candace Handy, former mentee, student at Towson University and employee with Rebuilding Together Baltimore;Tonya Wiley, MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership; and Selwyn Ray, Maryland Mentoring Partnership/Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Chesapeake.
January 24, 2013: 7:15 p.m.
Ernst & Young sponsored last night's Summit networking reception.
Michelle Ng and John Tierney (E&Y); David Shapiro (MENTOR); Rene Salas and Rita Mort Shankel (E&Y); Leroy Nesbitt (College for Every Student); and Kathryn Delli-Colli (E&Y)
January 24, 2013: 6:45 p.m.
Middle School Moment at the National Mentoring Summit Connects Youth Mentoring with School Dropout Prevention
January 24, 2013: 6:40 p.m.
View the slides from the following Afternoon Breakout sessions:
- OJJDP’s Multi-State Mentoring Program
- Relationships – The Key to Success
- paxUnited’s Positive Action Center – An Innovative Approach to Discipline Management
- Men in Mentoring
- 3R’s Recruitment, Retention and the Rewards
- A Service Partnership to Mentor Those Most at Risk
- Homegrown in Oklahoma-Corporate and Community Models and Best Practices
- Toward Better Quality Control and Enhanced Outcomes: Comprehensive Assessment of Match Quality
- Turning on a Dime: The 3 Keys
- Youth Mentoring Initiative
- The DREAM Program’s Village Mentoring Model
January 24, 2013: 12:45 p.m.
Corporate and Philanthropic Leadership Exchange Brought Together Nation's Corporations and Foundations to Advance Youth Mentoring in America:
Bank of America Charitable Foundation and MENTOR Co-Hosted Robust Discussion On Mentoring in Corporate America
Representatives from the Bank of America Charitable Foundation Include (L-R): Kristy Teskey, Melissa Anguilla, Susan Portugal, & Abby Goward
January 24, 2013: 12:30 p.m.
National Mentoring Summit Opens Today With Inspiring Mentor/Mentee Kickoff
January 24, 2013: 12:00 p.m.
View the slides from the following Morning Breakout Sessions (II):
- The SpringBoard: A Deep-Dive into Effective School-Based Mentoring yielding Sustainable Results
- New York City’s Mentoring Investment and Evaluation – A Key Strategy in the Young Men’s Initiative
- Innovative Life Skills and Career Exploration Activities and Matches
- Youth Mentoring and Correctional Facilities
January 24, 2013: 10:30 a.m.
View the slides from the following Morning Breakout Sessions (I):
- Inspiring and Achieving Career Path – An Innovative Youth Mentoring Program
- Mentoring Youth in Foster Care
- Keeping Your Mentors – MENTORING FOR LIFE
- Building a Bridge for Youth Careers – Corporate and Community Partnerships in Mentoring
January 23, 2013
Excellence in Mentoring in America Awards Presented at Library of Congress:
Vartan Gregorian, President, Carnegie Corporation; Geoff Boisi, Co-Founder of MENTOR and Chairman, Roundtable Investment Partners LLC; Senator Charles Schumer (D. NY); Willem Kooyker, Chairman of MENTOR and Chairman of Blenheim Capital Management. LLC, David Shapiro, CEO of MENTOR
Latest Summit News
Are you planning to register for the 2015 National Mentoring Summit? Did you miss out on the opportunity to win a complimentary hotel stay for the event? There is one more chance to register for the Summit to be entered into a drawing for a prize!
Register before December 19, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. EST and you will be entered into a drawing for a $100 American Express gift card!* The gift card has no expiration date and can be used at any retailer where American Express is accepted. If you’re already registered for the event, share this contest opportunity with a colleague!
Congratulations to Danica Baker of Friends First as the winner of the last Summit contest! She has received one complimentary two-night hotel stay courtesy of the Renaissance Washington D.C. Downtown.
To learn more about the National Mentoring Summit, workshops, supporters, and other Summit engagement opportunities, visit our Summit event webpage.Read more
James Anderson spent five years in and out of the California prison system before the age of 20. In his own words he says, “I felt so worthless that I believed that’s where I belonged. I was that kid that you pointed at and said ‘forget about him. He’s hopeless. He’s never going to change.’ Yet one person came into my life and helped me realize I was worth something.” That person became his mentor.
The Unites States leads the industrialized world in the rate at which young people are incarcerated. This system is costly to operate, puts youth at risk for injury and abuse and has been proven ineffective in reducing recidivism. This panel will explore ways to keep young people from becoming involved with the juvenile justice system, and demonstrate how mentoring relationships and the wider mentoring field work to interrupt and dismantle the school to prison pipeline and how the impact of those efforts can be enhanced.Read more
NBC News’ Meet the Press moderator David Gregory will lend his skills to facilitate a plenary session at the 2014 National Mentoring Summit. With a panel of experts, he will delve into factors that contribute to a school to prison pipeline, exploring ways to keep young people from becoming involved with the juvenile justice system and looking at how mentoring relationships and the wider mentoring field work to intervene. In addition to his talent as a journalist and storyteller, Mr. Gregory brings personal experience to the plenary through his volunteerism as a mentor with Sasha Bruce Youthwork in Washington, D.C. This plenary will take place on Thursday, January 30, 2014 during lunchtime.Read more
Invaluable. Enriching. Extraordinary. Awesome.
Participants certainly don’t have a hard time finding the right words to describe the 2013 National Mentoring Summit. So, is it any wonder that so many of them are planning on returning to the 2014 Summit, scheduled for Jan. 30-31 in Arlington, VA.
“The Summit gets better every year, offering more concrete and relevant information on how to implement best practices standards in mentoring programs,” said Jeannette Simon, director of volunteer and mentoring services at Concerned Black Men National, which is returning again as a Supporting Organization of the Summit.Read more
Cal Ripken Jr., known as baseball’s all-time Iron Man playing 21 seasons with the Baltimore Orioles and earning a record-breaking career, will be the featured opening speaker at the 2014 National Mentoring Summit.Read more