For members of Congress, August is a time to return to their home districts and visit with their constituents. It’s also an exciting opportunity for mentoring advocates to take action in their community and engage with their elected officials. This Advocacy August, advocates can choose to take on one or more actions to help protect funds for mentoring and expand mentoring opportunities throughout the nation.
MENTOR has created some useful tools to help you engage with your member of Congress this August and beyond. You can find all of these resources here, but we thought we would also highlight how you can use them:
• Set-Up a Meeting with your Member of Congress in their District Office: August recess is one the best times to meet with your member of Congress in their local district office. This guide highlights how you can invite, attend and follow-up with your member of Congress in their district office.
• Invite your Member of Congress to Visit your Mentoring Program: Members of Congress love spending time with young people and seeing what important programs are happening in their communities. This resource provides best practices and tips on how programs can invite members of Congress to their sites this summer.
• List of Upcoming Town Halls in your State: This resource lists Congressional town halls occurring throughout the country. You can find opportunities in your state for the month of August. This resource will be updated daily and can be used with the “Tips and Sample Questions” resource below.
• Tips and Sample Questions on Attending a Town Hall: We have prepared sample questions to help prepare for the issues and topics you may want to ask your member of Congress at a Town Hall. This resource can be used with “List of Upcoming Town Halls in Your State.”
• Send a Message to your Member of Congress: Ask your member of Congress to stand up for mentoring this summer by emailing or tweeting them using MENTOR’s advocacy platform.
We hope that you will use these resources to make your case for mentoring throughout August. Be sure to also check MENTOR’s blog weekly in August to hear from our partners on best practices, tips and success stories they’ve had advocating for mentoring.