MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership (MENTOR) is the unifying champion for expanding quality youth mentoring relationships in the United States. For more than 25 years, MENTOR has served the mentoring field by providing a public voice; developing and delivering resources to mentoring programs nationwide; and promoting quality for mentoring through evidence-based standards, innovative research and essential tools. MENTOR has developed and supports Affiliates at the national level that provide regional, state and local leadership and infrastructure necessary to support the expansion of quality mentoring relationships. Together, we engage with the private, public and nonprofit sectors to ensure that all youth have the support they need through mentoring relationships to succeed at home, school and, ultimately, work.
MENTOR is committed to fostering an environment of diversity and inclusion for all. We embrace our differences and celebrate our common humanity in advancing the need and transformative power of supportive relationships for our young people. We believe that varied perspectives, experiences, and opinions are central assets in our mission to close the mentoring gap. As we seek to build the most complementary team when it comes to skill, perspective, and experience; we strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented communities to apply.
There are no MENTOR job openings at this time. Please check back soon!
MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership (MENTOR) is the unifying champion for expanding quality youth mentoring relationships in the United States. For more than 25 years, MENTOR has served the mentoring field by providing a public voice; developing and delivering resources to mentoring programs nationwide; and promoting quality for mentoring through evidence-based standards, innovative research and essential tools. MENTOR works with a national network of twenty-four affiliates, the federal government, national foundations, researchers, the private sector, and the media to enhance the quality and quantity of mentoring relationships for young people nationwide to provide pathways to successful adulthood.
United Way of Palm Beach County is MENTOR’s Florida Affiliate. The main purpose of this position is to assist with the activities of the Mentoring Initiative committed to the advancement of quality mentoring programs within Palm Beach County and south Florida area for youth.
Education & Experience:
MENTOR Virginia (formerly Virginia Mentoring Partnership) is a nonprofit organization that promotes effective youth mentoring in Richmond and throughout Virginia by increasing the capacity of mentoring programs, developing new programs, and advocating for resources to support the mentoring field. Affiliated with the Center for Community Engagement and Impact at Virginia Commonwealth University, MENTOR Virginia’s mission is to partner with youth mentoring programs to help grow their impact, because high quality mentoring transforms lives and strengthens communities.
MENTOR Virginia is a member of the network of MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership. MENTOR works nationally with its network of 26 state and local Affiliates, the federal government, national foundations, researchers, the private sector, and the media to enhance the quality and expand the quantity of mentoring relationships for young people nationwide as a means to providing pathways to successful adulthood.
Position Summary: The Director will play a critical role in building a sustainable, effective organization, including building and strengthening networks and partnerships, developing capacity building services, leading fundraising efforts, managing a small staff, and building financial and operational efficiencies. The Director currently oversees 3 full-time staff, 4 part-time trainers, 6 part-time technical assistance providers, 1 part-time VISTA Supervisor, 2 interns, and 1 work-study student. In addition, MENTOR Virginia supports an AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) program that currently includes a VISTA Leader in its office and 10 members at various “host” mentoring programs throughout the entire state of Virginia.
Leadership & Management
• Ensure programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, and communications systems
• Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission and annual goals. Develop implementation strategy and dashboards for new strategic plan and ensure its success.
• Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
• Recruit, develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors: serve as ex-officio of each committee, seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing local operations as well as for continued statewide rollout. Staff all Board committees regularly.
• Lead, coach, develop, and retain MENTOR Virginia’s senior management team
• Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
• Actively engage and energize MENTOR Virginia’s volunteers, board members, event committees, past board members, partnering organizations, and funders
• Represent MENTOR Virginia with MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership as the leader of the Virginia affiliate.
• Represent MENTOR Virginia with Virginia Commonwealth University and ensure a strong partnership and participation within the Center for Community Engagement and Impact
Finance, Development & Communications
• Responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices
• Work with the staff, Executive Committee, and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines
• Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
• Build the brand of MENTOR Virginia across all stakeholders to elevate issues of youth mentoring, drive mentor recruitment, and position MENTOR Illinois as a key community resource
Planning & New Business
• Continually evaluate the organization’s strategic plan for the program expansion into geographic areas where youth could benefit from high quality mentoring
• Implement initiatives and projects that galvanize key stakeholders including mentoring program providers, corporations, government agencies, schools, institutions of higher education, and faith-based organizations and develop the appropriate services, trainings, or technical assistance needed by various sectors
• Be an external local and statewide presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the National Quality Mentoring System (NQMS) work. NQMS is a network and process for Virginia mentoring programs that want to validate program strengths and create a plan to improve program practices.
Fundraising and Income Diversification
• Develop and implement a fundraising strategy that builds on existing relationships with philanthropy, supports the implementation of the strategic plan, and leads to organizational sustainability
• Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and statewide expansion while simultaneously building reserves.
• Cultivate relationships with foundations and corporate funders in various regions of the state and secure new grant funding.
• Manage and execute grant-writing and oversee annual fund, major gifts and annual events.
• Increase earned income by leveraging additional national funding through the National Mentoring Resource Center.
– Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA’s) and/or Competencies required to successfully perform work and Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification required for entry into the position
– Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
– Several years of experience and a successful track record leading fundraising operations and/or programmatic initiatives for non-profits/educational organizations/related fields
– Experience in cultivating and securing gifts from a variety of sources, growing individual revenue, stewarding existing donors and funding partnerships, and securing event sponsorships are all vital functions of this role
– Strong writing and editing skills with a high attention to detail, and the ability to synthesize information or research to create compelling messages is a plus.
– Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion or a commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU
Education & Experience:
– Master’s degree is preferred.
– Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to function as a team player
– Ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines, and supervise staff and volunteers engaged in the process
– Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
– Excellent organizational skills.Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
– Experience with community and volunteer organizations and schools
– Knowledge of development programs, policies and general financial practices
– Appreciation of the organization’s mission and the youth mentoring field
– Ability to work in a diverse environment required
– Ability to work flexible hours including some weeknights and Saturdays
MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership (MENTOR) is the unifying champion for expanding quality youth mentoring relationships in the United States. For more than 25 years, MENTOR has served the mentoring field by providing a public voice; developing and delivering resources to mentoring programs nationwide; and promoting quality for mentoring through evidence-based standards, innovative research and essential tools. MENTOR has developed and supports a national collective of Affiliates that provide regional, state and local leadership and infrastructure necessary to support the expansion of quality mentoring relationships. Together, we engage with the private, public and nonprofit sectors to ensure that all youth have the support they need through mentoring relationships to succeed at home, school and, ultimately, work.
On behalf of an advisory group consisting of partners from Venture Leadership Consulting, we are thrilled to launch MENTOR California, a collaboration with MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership and a project of Community Initiatives. MENTOR California is an advocate for the expansion of quality mentoring and a resource for mentors and mentoring initiatives across the state of California.
MENTOR California will work collaboratively across sectors to support existing and emerging organizations that provide mentoring services to youth by:
MENTOR California will play an important role in building the state’s mentor base, coordinating and streamlining existing mentoring efforts where services are overlapping, identifying funding streams to reach youth in communities not currently reached, and connecting organizations to high-quality training opportunities delivered through an equity lens.
We seek a well-connected, experienced, visionary leader to launch MENTOR California. The President and CEO will be instrumental in developing the statewide strategic plan, engaging a broad cross section of stakeholders to support the work, and building a sustainable and effective initiative. A successful President and CEO will build and strengthen mentoring and youth development networks and partnerships, lead fundraising efforts, and inspire a team of senior staff. While the role will be based in the Bay Area, MENTOR California’s work will engage mentoring programs across the state. Successful candidates will balance “big picture” strategic thinking with the administrative know-how of a results-oriented manager and a track record of building partnerships and community collaborations. The President and CEO will build a team over the next several years, adding at least two director-level leaders to engage the Greater Los Angeles and Central Valley areas, as well as growing a team of staff and consultants to support the effective implementation of the strategic plan.
We work in a fast-paced environment that values learning and an entrepreneurial approach. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, MENTOR California is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse team across our network. Please be sure to submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization. We appreciate your time and will review and respond to all applications received.
Strategy and Leadership
Fundraising, Advocacy, and Communications
Programmatic and Operational Management
Qualifications & Experience:
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow and excel professionally. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below:
How to Apply:
Interested applications should visit the following link to Apply:
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Community Initiatives/MENTOR California is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, disability or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Community Initiatives/MENTOR California is compliant with the American with Disabilities Act and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a member of our team. If specific accommodations are needed, please notify email@example.com and we will work to accommodate your needs.